Re: Opinions on Good Speakers - IOUG Sessions on Sunday

From: Joe Testa <jtesta_at_dmc-it.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:53:12 -0500

Peter, if you're not aware(and i'm sure some of the listers are not),

there is a procedure where people who did bad on the reviews(fill out those sheets at end of session, they do count for something), have the potential to not be picked for the next couple of IOUG. This is speaking from experience as i've been on the selection committee to determine which abstracts get picked and which ones don't. Its been a few years since I've presented as I've been building a new company that i'm part of. Maybe next year.

Joe

Robson, Peter wrote:

| Hmmm, not sure how well a question like this is going to get
| answered, when many of the speakers at IOUG read this list...
|
| Oh well, what the hell - there will be a leading edge presentation
| on advanced, undocumented features of 10.5g by Hugh McShuggy, but -
| despite the attractiveness of the topic - he is a bl**dy useless
| speaker, and I don't recommend anyone waste their time
| attending....
|
| Sorry, Hugh...
|
| peter edinburgh
|

|> -----Original Message----- From: Sam Bootsma
|> [mailto:sbootsma_at_gbrownc.on.ca] Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004
|> 8:56 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Opinions on Good
|> Speakers - IOUG Sessions on Sunday
|>

|> Hello,
|>

|> I have been reviewing the Sunday University seminars happening at
|> IOUG in Toronto this year. Based on what I see in the write-ups
|> on the website, I am most interested in:
|>

|> 1) Advanced Oracle Database Troubleshooting on UNIX by Tim
|> Gorman
|>
|> 2) Oracle10g New Features by Daniel Liu
|>
|> 3) Oracle Environment Security by Kenny Smith
|>
|> 4) AND Identity Management: Oracle Internet Directory by
|> Sanjeev Mohan
|>

|> But I do not want to make my choice based only on the write-ups.
|> I recall attending a course on M$ Networking and TCP/IP. It was
|> fabulous - and mostly because of the instructor. A year or two
|> later I attended a Performance Tuning course at Oracle head
|> quarters. This one was so-so, again because of the instructor.
|>

|> I have heard Tim Gorman speak before and he is very good. So I
|> have no hesitations in attending a seminar led by Tim. Ditto for
|> Rachel Carmichael (except I don't see her name anywhere).
|>

|> Can anybody else provide input into some of the better speakers
|> out there? This will also be useful for technical sessions
|> happening during the week, outside of the intensive Sunday and
|> Thursday morning seminars.
|>

|> Thanks for your opinions!
|>

|> Sam Bootsma
|>
|> George Brown College
|>
|> sbootsma_at_gbrownc.on.ca <mailto:sbootsma_at_gbrownc.on.ca>
|>
|> 416-415-5000 x4933

| *********************************************************************
| This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it,
| are confidential and intended solely for the use of the
| addressee. If this message was not addressed to you, you have
| received it in error and any copying, distribution or other use
| of any part of it is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions
| presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily
| represent those of the British Geological Survey. The security
| of e-mail communication cannot be guaranteed and the BGS accepts
| no liability for claims arising as a result of the use of this
| medium to transmit messages from or to the BGS. .
| http://www.bgs.ac.uk

iD8DBQFAKheoR8fSap71V7YRAojEAJ9qfFNLwd2PXiHAZ1gE21gtj2ZwYgCeI7lD eHpcCp0rURs7cliSyBTyDK8=
=EXM8
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----