Re: Q on Session

From: Dan Tow <dantow_at_singingsql.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:51:39 -0800

Here's how it looks based on the V$ tables that track these (The OracleXX Reference is a good source for this stuff, and the Concepts manual contains the authoritative definitions - these are all available online for free if you sign up with Oracle's OTN network.):

A connection is how you establish a session - they map one-to-one for user sessions (not counting those background sessions like SMON), with the connection being what Net8 pays attention to, and the session being what the RDBMS pays attention too, roughly. A user session can be waiting to be asked to do work for the application (status=INACTIVE), or it can be executing SQL.

Every session should have a process, but with MTS a process can handle multiple sessions. The process is what you see from the point of view of your OS, for example with the ps command from UNIX.

Applications can have multiple sessions (and connections) where they choose, sometimes for security reasons, sometimes to maintain independent commit cycles. the V$SESSION table gives the OS process ID of the *client* process (the application process) in the PROCESS column. If you can identify the client process ID, you can see the number of sessions it has with a query on PROCESS=<PIDYouFound>. This works especially well in UNIX - I think the PIDs are kind of funky for Windows apps.

Yours,

Dan Tow
dantow_at_singingsql.com
650-858-1557