Re: db datafiles on NetApp FAS940 filer

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:25:21 -0500

Hello Joc! It's been a long time, indeed. I saw your posts recently and I remembered the days of Aster. Well, it's nice seeing that I'm not the only one left in the oracle business. Say hello to whoever is left from Aster.

On 02/10/2004 09:24:55 PM, Joze Senegacnik wrote:
> Mladen,
> they have the "big blue" IBM ESS Sharks, but also those from Hitachi
> are
> fast. I don't have the measurements for the latter so I wouldn't like
> comment.

When I was working for Oxford, we benchmarked Hitachi's against EMC. Hitachi was extremely fast, but did not support BCV's and TimeFinder at the time. I don't know anything about the Sharks. As for NEtApp, the newer models are not so bad. NetApp is, essentially, OCFS. Wang Trading is using NetApp array, but so far, not for Oracle. I created a little test database, but with the whole database being only 5G, you can't measure much.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA