RE: db datafiles on NetApp FAS940 filer

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:27:44 -0600

Carmen

   We have a NetApp, but it is a couple of years old by now. Since it is a Network Attached device, it's network connection to the server is the critical piece. Ours is a dedicated 10MBS circuit, which is too slow, but was all that was available then. Hopefully you have a 100MBS connection.

   Because of the slow connection, I discovered that heavy bi-directional use tended to cause the performance to choke.

   You don't say what your intended purpose. Our NetApp is fine for test databases, but we haven't used it for production work. Test it and see how it works for your application.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com