Re: MERGE statement not running

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:05:31 -0500

Hello Randy,

I agree with the others who point out that your version of SQL*Plus may be too low, and that it may not recognize MERGE as a valid statement.

It occurs to me though, that you can likely work around the issue using an anonymous PL/SQL block. This is because (I'm reasonably certain) SQL*Plus looks only at the first keyword of a statement or block. For example:

BEGIN
   MERGE blah, blah, blah
END;
/

SQL*Plus will look at the word BEGIN, recognize that it's getting a block, and send the entire block off to Oracle to parse without looking inside it. Thus, SQL*Plus won't be tripped up by the MERGE statement. The block hides that statement from SQL*Plus.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com