RE: Defrag tool on the Oracle database server

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:58:39 +0000

Comments inline

Yes, NTFS is most definitely susceptible to fragmentation - in the sense th=
at a single datafile may get split into multiple pieces all over the shop. =
If you have an NT based laptop take a look at the disk using the disk defra=
gmenter in administrative tools (you can just run an analyze and not actual=
ly do any defragmenting).=20
OTOH It is definitely worth measuring what performance degradation file sys=
tem fragmentation might be having on your Oracle system. I'd be amazed if i=
t were significant on any server (though there is bound to be a counter exa=
mple). What is likely to cause significant fragmentation is placing loads o=
f other (especially volatile) files on the same volume, in such cases I'd e=
xpect the competing IO to be far worse for the system than the fact that th=
e disk head might have to move a few times extra when doing a scan of a dat=

I'd definitely not buy a product when there is a perfectly adequate tool in=  the OS anyway.=20

> I've always considered "fragmentation" to be one of those=20
> joke responses to
> management queries. "Uh yeah, we're badly fragmented and the=20
> databits are
> not multiplexing properly through the parity groobfluffer"...

If only such responses were a joke...=20

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805=20

This email contains information intended for the addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege. Any dissemination, distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of the sender is strictly prohibited.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

Archives are at
FAQ is at