RE: standby config --> FAL_SERVER / FAL_CLIENT

From: Prem Khanna J <jprem_at_kssnet.co.jp>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:38:55 +0900

Hi Sriram ,

Thanx for your timely reply .

>>I had faced the same situation sometime back. I fought it out
>>by digging to the Dataguard guide.Pls follow this
>>FAL_SERVER =3D <Primary_Server TNS Entry> in Standby Database
>>FAL_CLIENT =3D<Standby Server TNS Entry> in the primary database.

but the data guard docs say that both of these should be set on standby database. that's what confused me. okay , let me try as u said.

>>I guess the "no data loss mode " isin't called that way any more
>>You have MAXIMIZE PROTECTION -- This Equates to no data loss mode.
>>MAXIMIZE AVAILABILITY MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE
u r right sriram . that is what i meant . Maximum Protection mode .

>>For Setting the database in Maximize protection mode
>>Set this parameter in primary database.
>>log_archive_dest_2=3D'service=3D<standby> reopen=3D60 MANDATORY LGWR =
>>SYNC AFFIRM' Also,Set this parameter in the standby
>>standby_file_management=3Dauto -- This would enable automatic creation
>>of datafiles in the standby

i have set these parameters too.The docs say that DGS_BROKER_START should be set on both primary and standby database . is it so ? Docs sometimes seem to be unreliable : (

>>Would be glad to help you out

happy that u are there to help out : )

and regarding online redo logs of the primary database : if the server ( where the primary database resides ) goes down and all the HDD
are lost ( bad luck ) ... there would be some data loss . am i right ? what can be done to avoid this ? can the online redo logs be placed on an external storage ( ... like NAS ) ? OR am i OFF the track regarding online redo logs ?

Thanks and Regards,
Prem.