RE: Max permutations

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:49:45 -0800

I just checked the autographed copy of OPT 101. Paraphrasing Gaja/Kirti's words, when this is set to a value below 80,000, the optimizer is forced to try upto eight different tables as the driving tables for queries that involve joins.

OTOH, I was digging through some of my old email from another list (Oracle Apps) where _very_ complex and large table joins are common-place, someone reported that the time taken to execute (i.e. parse + fetch) was as below:

optimizer_max_permutations = 50             Query Time = 42  sec.
optimizer_max_permutations = 100           Query Time = 50  sec.
optimizer_max_permutations = 500           Query Time = 3    min.
optimizer_max_permutations = 1,000        Query Time = 6    min.
optimizer_max_permutations = 10,000      Query Time = 55   min.
optimizer_max_permutations = 50,000      Query Time = 117 min.
optimizer_max_permutations = 80,000      Query Time = 219 min.

Dunno why so many combinations were tested though! Nor do I have the SQL or explain plans... :(

I do know however, that this was on 8.1.7.2 (i.e an erly version of 8.1.7) and that Oracle recommends a setting of 2000 for OMP in Oracle Apps 11i installs.

John Kanagaraj
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at http://www.klove.com