RE: row level (transactional) locking problem

From: Boris Dali <boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:57:15 -0500 (EST)

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

So given row_wait_object#=-1 the rest of the row_wait_* columns are irrelevant and the session is NOT waiting for a row level lock? But it probably did in the past and when the lock cleared Oracle resets object# only?

> How did you determine that session = 165 is not
> holding a lock? It sure looks like it is, to me.

I didn't say 165 is not holding a lock (at least I didn't intend to say that as it sure thing does - see v$lock output). I said it doesn't seem to have any transactions pending. The query I used is below:

SELECT nice bunch of stuff

FROM     v$rollname a
	,v$rollstat b
	,v$session c
	,v$transaction e
	,v$process p
WHERE    a.usn = b.usn
     AND b.usn = e.xidusn
     AND c.taddr = e.addr
     AND c.paddr=p.addr

.... which yelds nothing for 165, but it does for 226.

If I approach if from the locking angle that I do see output for both 165 and 226:

SELECT nice bunch of stuff

FROM 	 v$rollname r
	,v$rollstat rs
	,v$lock l
	,v$session s
WHERE 	 l.Sid = s.Sid(+)
     AND trunc( l.Id1/65536) = R.Usn
     AND l.Type = 'TX'
     AND r.usn = rs.usn

Checking last sql gives "update" that 226 is waiting on and "select" that 165 ran last (5 hours ago). So how 165 can block 226?

Thanks,
Boris Dali.