Re: Defrag tool on the Oracle database server

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:05:39 -0500

On 02/09/2004 09:44:09 AM, Tim Gorman wrote:
> So, to repeat my original question: is there something about NTFS
> (or
> whatever file-system Windows is using) that is susceptible to this
> problem?

It's made by Microsoft Corporation.

> How is it that there are no "defrag" utilities for UNIX? And if
> there
> are,

Well, unix file systems are usually block oriented and not extent oriented. Similarly to LMT, it is much harder to fragment block oriented file systems. The file systems that do have extents, like JFS or XFS are not used so much that someone would bother to write a defragmenter.