RE: Academic ERDs vs. Professional ERDs

From: TOMPKINS, MARGARET <MARGARET.TOMPKINS_at_DFAS.MIL>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 06:27:54 -0600

I've always thought that ERWin was far superior to Rational Rose and it = would be my choice if I did nothing but data modeling. I've changed my = mind since Designer 6i came out. With Oracle Software Configuration =

Management (SCM), I now can version Repository objects like entities.  =
That means that I can have a record of the evolution of an entity over =
time for the various software releases.  With Rational Rose, I believe =
you can version the whole application or make a copy of it and nothing =
more. It's really quite a revolutionary idea to be able to version one = object in a Repository separate from all the others.

    Most of us use data models to document requirements and understand = the business rules for applications that actually get implemented. We = get about a 95% solution with our models using Designer. It lacks a bit = when it comes to non data related business rules. That's why we have = seen the rise of business rules repositories.

    I need lots of other tools for development. That's why I like a = full CASE Tool development package like Designer. It's got all the = wizards and table APIs that expedite development. They are very cost = effective. Where there are weaknesses in any tool, say a PL/SQL code = writer, we supplement it with tools like TOAD and SQL*Navigator.

Respectfully,

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 9:25 AM
To: Oracle-L Freelists

But of course, there is after all only one data model required;

http://www.tdan.com/i005fe03.htm

Everything else is fluff.

Jared

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 20:16, TOMPKINS, MARGARET wrote:
> Just a guess but some of that may have come out of mathematical set =
=3D
> theory, sometimes called relational set theory. That at least dates =
=3D
> back to Venn diagrams.
> I have worked with groups that do nothing but data modeling either
in =3D
> tools like Designer or ERWin. They don't model to define requirements
=3D
> to be implemented. They data model - period. The biggest difference
=3D
> that I've seen in those and the "real" ones is an overuse of entity =
=3D
> subtyping. Entities that have eight levels of subtyping are beyond my
=3D
> comprehension. Maybe it's good that they don't get implemented.
Maggie

>=20

> Respectfully,
> > Maggie Tompkins - CAD SQA
> > Corporate Applications Division
> > Technology Services Organization - Kansas City
> > Defense Finance and Accounting Service
> > 816-926-1117 (DSN 465); Margaret.Tompkins_at_dfas.mil
>=20
>=20

=3D