Re: Oracle Development - Best Practice

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:37:12 -0700

Jonathan,
I've been worried all along :-) , that's why I posted this description of my testing, because I may have missed or misunderstood something...

---

When you ask how much I trust AUTOTRACE, we have to remember that it is only
a before/after query of V$SESSTAT for ten specific statistics.  So, if I
trust AUTOTRACE, I am trusting:

   * the information in V$SESSTAT
   * that these ten specific statistics are the worthwhile ones
   * how much collection error is the mechanism introducing

So, the question evolves to:  where exactly is my trust misplaced?

* If it is the first point (i.e. validity of information in V$SESSTAT)...

>> To clarify further from my previous post, I had supposed that the single "db
>> block get" was to update the undo block and the single "consistent get" was
>> to update the table/data block.  When I change the test to commit after each
>> insert, then the number of "db block gets" increases from 1 to 2, which makes
>> sense if the transaction table in the undo header block is to be modified to
>> begin the transaction.  This is proven easily by adjusting the test slightly
>> to introduce more commits.  So, unless this accounting for the logical reads
>> recorded in V$SESSTAT is incorrect, I think my trust on the first point is
>> not misplaced...

* If the question is the second point (i.e. Specific statistics gathered by
AUTOTRACE)...

>> The original poster indicated that the problem with BEFORE triggers was
>> visible via logical reads, so since AUTOTRACE displays a couple of those
>> statistics (i.e. "db block gets" and "consistent gets"), it seemed a safe bet
>> to utilize AUTOTRACE.  So, my trust on the second point seems valid, at least
>> when questioning this particular assertion...

* That leaves the third point, of measurement error, to which I have no
answer, but as a skeptic I take as a given to some degree anyway...

So, unless there's a flaw in this reasoning (and I'm not saying there
isn't!), it seems like AUTOTRACE is worthy of trust for this testing.

---

However, on the chance that it isn't, I chose to utilize Mogen's suggestion
of the "Ensor Test" (i.e. bang the heck out of it in a long loop, which
effectively aggregates all possible effects).  I tried the three test
scenarios successively:

* table without any triggers
* table with BEFORE INSERT FOR EACH ROW trigger, does NULL action
* table with AFTER INSERT FOR EACH ROW trigger, does NULL action

Within each of these scenarios, I ran a simple PL/SQL loop that performed an
INSERT for 100,000 iterations.  This loop was run ten times, with a TRUNCATE
TABLE ... REUSE STORAGE prior to each, then the elapsed times were averaged
(elapsed times gathered by SQL*Plus SET TIMING ON mechanism).

The averaged timing results:

* table without any triggers, avg ela:  163.06 secs
* table with BEFORE INSERT trigger, avg ela: 207.73 secs
* table with AFTER INSERT trigger, avg ela: 205.95 secs

The difference between the BEFORE INSERT and AFTER INSERT scenario average
timings was 1.78 seconds or well under 1% of the total.  I'm not a
statistician, so I guess I'll leave it up to y'all to decide if it is
statistically significant or not?  My gut feel is that it is not
significant.

---

So, I still see no substantiation to the assertion that BEFORE triggers
perform worse than AFTER triggers.

Hope this helps,

-Tim

---------------------------------------------------------------- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com ---------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe send email to: oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line. -- Archives are at http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/ FAQ is at http://www.freelists.org/help/fom-serve/cache/1.html -----------------------------------------------------------------