From: Koivu, Lisa <>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:38:38 -0500

Hi everyone,=20

9204, Windows 2003 Enterprise

ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate 49676 bytes (hash-join subh,kllcqas:kllsltba)

What fun. Yes, I know this means it is out of memory. I know that hash joins are memory-intensive. I want to allow the db to utilize more memory. Using hash joins speeds up the data loads.

I have pga_aggregate_target set to 900m (due to a bug). I decreased the amount of memory allocated to the sga and the db block buffers as indicated in note 116076.1. Yes I know it's about NT, but I'm grasping here.=20

I watched the memory allocation ramp up on the server while Informatica was running. It gets to around 2.1, 2.2 gb and doesn't go any farther. Jobs begin failing.=20

Our sysadmin says there's no problem with w2003E addressing more than 2GB contiguous memory, like the note says. However, the behavior was pretty suspect. =20

Any windows people that can point me in the right direction? =20

This was brought on by setting the optimizer_goal for this user to choose. We set it back to first_rows and this error does not occur. This makes sense to me, however I really want to see the db use available resources instead of barf.

Lisa Koivu
Senior DBA, yea right
Orlando, FL, USA

"The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of = any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This = message and its attachments could have been infected during = transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the = recipient accepts full responsibility for taking proactive and remedial = action about viruses and other defects. The sender's business entity is = not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message = or its attachments."

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

Archives are at FAQ is at