RE: Defrag tool on the Oracle database server

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:46:43 -0500

I just asked this a little while ago. We were using a trial version of = diskkeeper at midnight for several months and it didn't hurt anything = but I think potentially it could if the database is active. The question = came up when we had to decide whether or not to buy it: What's going to = happen when Oracle and this thing start tusslin' over a file? We = stopped doing it.

My data drives are badly fragmented now because we also stored backups = in the unused space and add and delete them all the time. We are moving = to a SAN in the next couple of months so we are leaving well enough = alone and in the future will make sure that the drives I have data on = only have Oracle files. I think Oracle can manage its own files well = enough to avoid fragmentation.=20

If you want to try this I would take the database down first. I would = think that would be relatively safe. I believe there is some stuff on = this on metalink. Oracle, of course, is not going to give you anything = like an 'OK' for you to do this. I think what they said was that there = isn't any need to do defrag from an Oracle standpoint.