RE: Re: how to get oracle to ignore an index

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:03:37 -0600

Ryan

   Here is the way I look at the issue you raise. Hints are coded as comments, not a part of the SQL statement. If a hint has bad syntax, Oracle does not error out, but treats the mangled hint as a comment. If the hint refers to an index that doesn't exist, Oracle does not error out. That is what I think is meant by saying that Oracle can ignore a hint if it chooses to.

   But if Oracle doesn't respond to a hint, rather than assuming that Oracle doesn't want to use your hint, a better approach is to persist in trying to figure out what is wrong with your hint. The easiest error is to have bad syntax. The next easiest is to hint something dumb.

   Since Oracle doesn't return an error, your feedback is limited. In my years in I.T., I have found situations where no error is returned or the wrong error is returned are among the most frustrating and discouraging. If I may be indulged a trip down memory lane, I had an early home computer, the Radio Shack Color Computer. I wanted to learn assembly programming. You could hand-assemble some machine instructions, POKE them into memory, then jump execution to that location. I followed the manual's instructions and received an error. I tried and tried and finally gave up. Months later a friend says "yeah an error is always returned because you usually mangle the register BASIC uses to tell if it has an error -- ignore the error". I sure wish the manual had mentioned that. So just think of this list as a small, planet-wide, group of friends that can clear up misconceptions.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com