Re: Re: how to get oracle to ignore an index

From: Jonathan Lewis <>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:12:13 -0000

Notes in-line

Jonathan Lewis

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof  March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial  April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:

Three-day seminar:
see ____UK___February

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

i cant reproduce the data for you. its internal. I tested it repeatedly. I was very careful about the hint.

select /*+ index(<index_name>) */

>>> The thing above is not a valid hint

select /*+ index(<table> <index_name>) */

>>> The thing above might not be a valid hint
>>> as the <table> might have been given an alias
>>> If the table does not have an alias, then this
>>> will be obeyed, unless some conditions relating
>>> to null columns could make the indexed path
>>> return the wrong path, or (prior to skip scans)
>>> there was no optimizer mechanism for using
>>> the index.

Tried it repeatedly. I've seen it before. Sorry, I cant show you the data, etc... I could have swarn I read in the docs that hints are just directives and oracle does not have to use them? I cant find it right now. Am I wrong? I'm pretty sure I have seen that several times.

>>> There are some bugs relating to execution methods
>>> that require some detailed examination of 10053
>>> trace files to determine how Oracle pushed an
>>> 'obvious' hint out of context. Apart from these,
>>> and there are some 'feature-related' hints that
>>> can only work if various init.ora parameters
>>> are set ... and so on.
>>> You probably have read that hints are 'just'
>>> directives (to me a directive is the same as
>>> an order, by the way). I've seen it in a Metalink
>>> note somewhere. You will have found numerous
>>> articles which say that hints can be ignored.
>>> But in recent versions I don't think I've been
>>> presented with an example where a valid hint
>>> was ignored.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

Archives are at
FAQ is at