Problem with java function

From: John Dunn <john.dunn_at_sefas.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:38:47 -0000

I have a problem with a java function that I use to run unix commands. It works OK for most commands(for example touch works fine), but I am having problem with the echo command.
I am wondering whether the problem is the redirection sign >

Plaform is Oracle 9.2 on Solaris but same problem occurs on AIX

Below is the code and the sql script I use to test.

Any thoughts?

CREATE OR REPLACE AND COMPILE JAVA SOURCE NAMED "function_os_command" AS import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
public class function_os_command
{

   public static int Run(String Command)    {
    int rc = 0;
    try
    {
    Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime();
    Process p = rt.exec(Command);
    try {

         rc = p.waitFor();
        } catch (InterruptedException intexc) { rc = 2; }

    } catch (Throwable t) { rc = 3; }
    return(rc);
   }
}
/

CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION function_run_os_command(Command IN STRING) RETURN NUMBER IS
LANGUAGE JAVA
NAME 'function_os_command.Run(java.lang.String) return integer'; /

sql script to test it

/* example call to unix function */
 set serveroutput on
  VARIABLE retcode NUMBER;
  begin
--:retcode := function_run_os_command('/usr/bin/echo hello > /tmp/testecho');
:retcode := function_run_os_command('/usr/bin/touch /tmp/testecho');

dbms_output.put_line('retcode ' || :retcode);   end;
.
/
exit