RE: Slow ODBC connectivity

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:12:05 -0600

Patrice

   Since it sounds like an in-house application, you might have the developers insert a statement to turn tracing on. Review of the trace might give you an idea of where the delays occur. From your posting, it sounds like you are assuming ODBC is the culprit, yet you also mention that you found one SQL statement that is causing significant delay itself. The question is whether the delay is due to ODBC or due to the SQL statements. Sometimes problems occur just due to the amount of network traffic back and forth between the server and the client. I think this question must be resolved before you decide on a tuning plan. A detailed trace should reveal the answer to this question. As Cary Millsap says in his book, this may be a situation where the SQL wait times are significant and can't be treated as inconsequential. Good luck, these types of situations can require a lot of time and patience to unravel.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com