RE: Slow ODBC connectivity

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:53:17 -0500

Another place to look at is ODBC DataSource parameter called "Preftch Count". By default it is set to 10, which means for the query retrieving 1000 rows ODBC will make 100 trips to the database. Don't be afraid to increase this parameter in DataSource configuration (I have it set to 1000).

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
ineyman_at_perceptron.com

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS [mailto:DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM] Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 9:12 AM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

Patrice

   Since it sounds like an in-house application, you might have the developers insert a statement to turn tracing on. Review of the trace might
give you an idea of where the delays occur. From your posting, it sounds like you are assuming ODBC is the culprit, yet you also mention that you found one SQL statement that is causing significant delay itself. The question is whether the delay is due to ODBC or due to the SQL statements.
Sometimes problems occur just due to the amount of network traffic back and
forth between the server and the client. I think this question must be resolved before you decide on a tuning plan. A detailed trace should reveal
the answer to this question. As Cary Millsap says in his book, this may be a
situation where the SQL wait times are significant and can't be treated as
inconsequential. Good luck, these types of situations can require a lot of
time and patience to unravel.

Dennis Williams