Statspack, rest in piece

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:34:00 -0500

Long live Automatic Workload Repository (AWR). It even comes with a package to analyze it, so that the poor administrator doesn't have think about the question of life, universe and instance parameters. Package is called "DBMS_ADVISOR". I have quite negative experience with something called "VPA" (= VMS Performance Advisor) which was usually diagnosing non-existing problems and advised purchase of new hardware. I wonder whether Oracle has incorporated things like that into theri code. After all, VPA was able to diagnose RDB problems and guess who has bought RDB?