RE: statspack wait events

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:51:19 -0600

Raghu,

This kind of situation is what I meant by my "worse than useless" posts last week... What you're showing *may* be an indication that you have some SQL that would benefit from a reduction in OS read calls. However, it is entirely possible that you also might *not* benefit from such a reduction. If that's your situation, then you have an extra problem now: getting the idea that you "have an I/O bottleneck" out of your head. If your system does not have an I/O problem (and you can't tell by looking at what you've shown here), then getting the wrong idea out of your head is going to be an extra project step. In my experience, it's a project step that sometimes takes MONTHS to execute. (Seeing this kind of thing so frequently is what inspires great passion within me about this subject.)

Your next step is to find some user action that's running for longer than the business needs it to run. Find out why that program is taking so long. Fix the program by reducing its demand for the thing it spends the most time using. Once you've done that, if the program still isn't fast enough for the business, then reduce the demand that its competitors are generating for the resource your program is spending most of its time consuming. Check Chapter 1 of "Optimizing Oracle Performance" online (free) at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/optoraclep/index.html.

Somebody will surely recommend that you consult listing of "top SQL" in the Statspack report you're looking at. By doing this, you'll probably find something to work on. However, Statspack has no idea how to sort your system's SQL statement by business priority, so it's possible that the guidance you'll receive from this Statspack report won't help you at all.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 2/24 San Diego, 3/23 Park City, 4/6 Seattle
- SQL Optimization 101: 2/16 Dallas
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...