can't get a simple query to use an index

From: Chris Stephens <ChrisStephens_at_affina.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:44:21 -0600

This started out with a simple query involving 2 tables that was taking entirely too long....it has been reduced to the easiest of statements in an attempt to for the query to use a stupid index that I'm quite confident will speed things up. Here's as much relevant info as I can think of:

Optimizer_idex_cost_adj = 100 (I know)

Table was analyzed with dbms_stats.gather_table_stats with 'for all indexed columns' option.

There is an non-unique index on order_header_id

18368689 rows in order_log.

3606306 distinct order_header_id's in order_log

Select rowid from order_log where order_header_id = XXXX;

4 rows returned

Full table scan in trace

Select select /*+ index(order_log) */ rowid from order_log where order_header_id = XXXX;

4 rows returned

Full table scan in trace

Alter session set Optimizer_idex_cost_adj = 1;

Session altered

Select rowid from order_log where order_header_id = XXXX;

4 rows returned

Full table scan in trace

Select select /*+ index(order_log) */ rowid from order_log where order_header_id = XXXX;

4 rows returned

Full table scan in trace

I tried adding the index name to the hint with the same result.

What else can I do to force an index lookup?