National Character Set

From: <Luc.Demanche_at_astrazeneca.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:45:17 +0100

Hi DBAs,

We have a problem with one of our vendors' support. The tool is used to insert generic data in our Oracle database, i.e. Text files, Images, etc ....

In their manual, it specifies to create the Oracle database with characterset UTF8. There is no mention of National CharacterSet. I decided to use AL16UTF16 for the National CharacterSet.

For the past couple of weeks, we have tons of problem with their tool and they keep saying that we should change the National CharacterSet for UTF8. But, the tool doesn't use either NCHAR, NVARCHAR2 or NCLOB datatypes .... So how could National CharacterSet be the problem ... ????

Am I right when I say the the National CharacterSet is only used for NCHAR, NVARCHAR2 and NCLOB ??

TIA
Luc

Luc Demanche
AstraZeneca R&D Montreal