Encrypted Pages Caching Browser Caching Problem

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:15:59 -0800

This is a WSG application written in Designer 6.0 and using Oracle iAS 1.0. All pages are protected by SSL. Data entry may consist of mainly similar records. However when users migrate out of a page on I.E. and return the previously committed date is lost. Instead of changing a field or two, the record needs to be re-entered. This does not happen with Mozilla. There is an option in I.E about whether to cache encrypted pages. This has been set to yes, but does not change the behavior.

Is there any setting on the server side which might be telling the browser not to cache these pages? Something which I.E is honoring, but Mozilla is not. This behavior is new, and frustrating to users of the systems. Perhaps one of the many I.E. security patches is responsible.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.stanford.edu