Re: Will 10g install on any Linux???

From: Peter Gram <peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:44:34 +0100

There is a file where the installer check's what is supported, you can specify what ever youre OS returns
from uname -a :-)

Mladen Gogala wrote:

>Well, if necessary, we'll compile /usr/local/bin/uname and make sure it
>returns the desired information. Uname will consist of few printfs and
>will take exactly the same command line arguments as the original one.
>By the way, I don't think oracle wants to do that, because there would
>be quite an uproar. There are other databases and mindshare will sooner
>or later transform into the market share. Believe me, Oracle does not
>want to restrict their flagship database to $3000 Linux versions only,
>because that would make the door wide open for competition like DB/2
>and PosgresSQL.
>If nothing else, you can always get a Java decompiler from slashdot,
>inspect the source code and rig the part that checks the OS version
>appropriately. On the other hand, this might be just another way of
>hiding the "quality" of the code. Trick would be to make 10g available
>for supported Linux only, which is run by very few people and do not
>make the RDBMS widely available until it's fixed. That would confirm
>the information I've already discussed on this group and usenet.
>

>On 02/02/2004 12:35:20 PM, "Jesse, Rich" wrote:
>

>>Yes, those are the "certified" Linux releases, but Oracle versions
>>prior to
>>10g could be installed on other distros. The screenshots seem to
>>indicate
>>that the Installer now checks which Linux you're running, which leads
>>me
>>back to the original question.
>>
>>Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
>>rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI
>>USA

Best regards/Venlig hilsen

/*Peter Gram*/ <mailto:peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk>

Miracle A/S <http://www.miracleas.dk/>
Kratvej 2
DK - 2760 Måløv

Cell:  (+45) 2527 7107
Phone: (+45) 4466 8855
Fax:   (+45) 4466 8856
Home:  (+45) 3874 5696
Email: peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk <mailto:peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk>

SQL Server Master Class 8-10 Marts,
Database Forum 28-30 October
Master Class 17-19 Januar 2005.