RE: Capacity Planner from OEM VS Statspack

From: Guang Mei <gmei_at_incyte.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:08:05 -0500

Statspack is just one of the tools which I think (based on my experience) is useful for performance monitoring and tuning. We have a weekly build program that took about 80 hours (with multihread programs running) to finish, it's been running the same code for 2+ years. For the past year, I implmented Statspack and took snapshot hourly, I identified the top sqls in each hour and their individual programs. By studing the program I improved some of their performacen dramatically (by changing program logic and re-writing sqls). Together with dbms_profiler and 10046 trace, I found many places that code could be improved (big and small). I reduced the weekly build program down to 60 hours while the data has grown 100%. And I am still in the middle of optimization efforts.

Guang