RAID 1 or 10 for Oracle redo/control files?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:56:09 -0600

Hey all,

I know this as been brought up before, but I've been having some difficulty finding specific reasons for/against RAID 10 on Oracle redo and control files. Here's the info:

We're getting a SAN, whose initial use will be to house a few Oracle DBs. I'm proposing that our ERP DB's layout include this:

	Redo 01	2 drives, RAID 1
	Redo 02	2 drives, RAID 1
	Control 01	3 drives, RAID 1
	Control 02	2 drives on server, RAID 1 (in case of SAN failure)

I've been asked to prove why the Redos shouldn't be RAID 10, because the striping should allow for faster writes. I remember reading that this was nullified by the sequential nature of the writes, but I can't remember where I saw this.

Cary? Tim? Jonathon? Everyone else here that I forgot?

THX!
Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com           Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA