RE: Capacity Planner from OEM VS Statspack

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:32:16 -0500

I'm a relatively new DBA but I have 30 years electronic engineering =

experience.  I'm used to tools that work and actually measure what they =
purport to. I got all excited about the capacity planner about 6 months =
ago and asked the same questions you are asking now.  Mostly, nobody is =
using it.  It becomes a headache itself, the agent fails and causes you =
grief. I don't think you'll find much usefulness in it. When you start = troubleshooting it won't give you anything helpful.=20

After reading Carey Milsaps Optimizing Oracle Performance I am less than = thrilled with statspack also. You can't solve (or even determine) a = particular problems origin while looking at aggregate values.

The main value of these things is to provide a comfort level and = distraction to management. Attach your statspack report to an email and = send it to your boss. It should keep him (or her) busy for some time = while you work on the database.