Re: encapsulating tables in pl/sql packages?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:29:47 -0700

Oh yes...

10 years ago, at a local telecom company, corporate standards called for this. All queries had to go through views and all DML through procedures. At the time, REF CURSORs were not available, so only views were specified for SELECT activity, but the stored procedures for INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE activity were dubbed "CUDs" (i.e. for create/update/delete). It is an excellent idea that provided all kinds of flexibility and options for administration, auditing, monitoring, and performance management. Moreover, it removed much of the need for SQL literacy among developers, allowing them to focus on what they did best.

But many developers chafed against constraints. If a particular CUD didn't do exactly what they wanted, they had to work thorugh corporate change control to get the existing CUD modified or a new one created.

Worst of all, the person in charge of this change control inevitably became known as the "CUD Queen". All I can say is, make sure that the person in charge of change control is either extremely impervious to epithets or at least ignorant of bovine terminology...