Re: Views and Predicates, part 2

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:52:16 -0000

/*+ no_merge */ goes after the select keyword
in the in-line view, or you can use

/*+ no_merge (alias) */ after the select that has
the in-line view in its from clause.

I haven't been following your thread closely - but I don know that analytic functions can, on occasion, be unfolded from views, but are more likely to be instantiated. I would be surprised if the code to do the unfolding worked every time it was supposed to. I guess in your case, the use of the index full scan has been considered as the cheap way of instantiating the view across the whole table because it avoids makes the window sorts effectively free.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person   who can answer the questions, but the   person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 Jan 29th 2004 UKOUG Unix SIG - v$ and x$  March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof  March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial  April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html ____UK___February