RE: Starting Database from OEM 9.2 gives ORA-12500 Failed to star

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:44:33 -0800

Yes, I'm sure.

If in the services control panel you change OracleService<SID> starup properties, it does not affect "ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART" key in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0" (and does not change the way the database is started when the service is started). What it does, it changes the value of "Start" key in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\OracleService<SID>" (and the way service is started when the machine is rebooted - Automatic/Manual).

So, if you have "Start" key in
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\OracleService<SID>" set to "2" (which means "automatic") and you have "ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART" key in
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0" set to "FALSE", then on reboot OracleService<SID> will start automatically, but the database will not startup. So, then (whenever you ready) you can do:

set oracle_sid=instance_name
sqlplus /nolog
connect sys/password as sysdba
startup