RE: Someone using LDAP to authenticate users to NDS?

From: Ana Choto <achoto_at_american.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:48:39 -0500

Thanks Dennis,

NDS is the Novell Directory Server. I don't know much about LDAP, just what I've been reading since asked to look into authenticating our users via LDAP. I've also been reading information on OID.

We have several Oracle instances in versions starting on 8.1.6 to 9i R2. Operating systems NT, Windows 2000 and Sun Sparc Solaris 5.8.

We have users that log on to the network, oracle, unix, and/or Datatel (The db is Unidata. Yes, not a relational database, but it's our main application for registration, finances, etc). We have our datawarehouse and other web applications on Oracle.

What we want to do is to have one place where to authenticate users and where to keep their information. The intent is not only ease of management, but to enforce password management in all of our applications the same way it's done in Novell. We're planning on using profiles in the Oracle Databases. We have already created a test profile that enforces the same password rules as NDS'.

I've opened a TAR with Oracle support and I'm waiting to hear from them. I've searched Metalink, and what I've read suggest OID is the way to go. I just have to figure out, as you say, how to synchronize the LDAP's.

Thanks

Ana E. Choto
American University
e-Operations - Information Technology
Phone (202) 885-2275
Fax (202) 885-2224

             DENNIS WILLIAMS
             <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETO
             UCH.COM>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'"
             oracle-l-bounce_at_f         <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
             reelists.org                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/30/2004 02:14          RE: Someone using LDAP to
             PM                        authenticate users to NDS?

             Please respond to
             oracle-l_at_freelist
                   s.org

Ana

   I have been studying some of these issues, but haven't implemented anything yet, so I sincerely hope you get some good responses. I hadn't heard of NDS before, so if you can explain that a little, you may get more assistance.

   LDAP as you know is an industry standard.    OID supports LDAP, as do other vendor offerings, like Microsoft ActiveDirectory.

   I think a number of people have implemented LDAP using OID.    Today, if you choose to use another LDAP, you probably have to also implement OID and figure out how to keep the two LDAPs synchronized. In theory this is possible, but I haven't heard from anyone who has implemented
this.

   My guess is that as LDAP systems mature, standardization and interaction will mature as well. Eventually Oracle will have to satisfy customers who have chosen an LDAP other than OID because they support more applications than Oracle.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com