Re: Starting Database from OEM 9.2 gives ORA-12500 Failed to start a dedicated ....

From: Mauricio <oraclemavelgo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:39:25 -0800

There is not enough memory to start a dedicated connection. so change the server mode from dedicated to shared, (you can do it change some parameters in init_sid.ora file see oracle documentation).

If you are going to change the server mode to shared and you have two database on the same machine, then you have to assign one listener port for each database.

hope this helps

Mauricio Vélez
Oracle DBA

Dharminder Softhome <dharminder@softhome.net> wrote:
Hey all,
Following is the environment.
Windows 2000
Oracle Enterprise 9.2,
OEM 9.2

I have two 9.2 database installed on my system. OEM is configured properly.
One of the database is in automatic startmode and this DB contains OEM
repository.

I start the machine, open OEM, login to OEM and then try to start the other
database, but it does not start the DB, instead I get
ORA-12500 Failed to start a dedicated....

OEM doc says that with OEM, you can start/shutdown the database using OEM.
Can someone point to me what I am doing wrong. I am using sys
username/password for the startup of the second database.

Thanks.

Author: Dharminder Softhome
INET: dharminder@softhome.net

Author: Vélez"