RE: dbv - Found block already marked corrupted

From: Hately, Mike (LogicaCMG) <mike.hately_at_nedl.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:14:59 -0000

Hi,
corruptions of this kind can be caused by recovery operations that 'roll through' operations that were performed as NOLOGGING. This is because Oracle can't be sure that the object was not changed so the blocks are marked as corrupt.
It may be that the blocks in question are not actually in use by the object even though they are allocated to it. If this is the case they'll be formatted when they're eventually used.
Oracle considers that these blocks are not in use and for that reason it reports a message and does not increment the "Pages Failing" statistics produced when dbv completes.
I don't know of a way to corect this problem without recreating the object (which would certainly fix the messages). As you've already found, the object itself is not corrupted so the only problem is the spurious messages. It's up to you whether you think an ALTER TABLE MOVE is worth the hassle just to fix those messages.
Of course, if someone knows a utility to un-flag a block I'm all ears.

Cheers,
Mike Hately