Re: SV: Date Format: Mystery

From: Garry Gillies <g.gillies_at_weir.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:59:26 -0800

Hi,

>From Note: 69028.1 on Metalink

The datatype returned is 13 and not 12, the external DATE datatype. This occurs because we rely on the TO_DATE function! External datatype 13 is an internal c-structure whose length varies depending on how the c-compiler represents the structure. Note that the "Len=" value is 8 and not 7. Type 13 is not a part of the published 3GL interfaces for Oracle and is used for date calculations mainly within PL/SQL operations. Note that the same result can be seen when DUMPing the value SYSDATE.

Garry Gillies
Database Administrator
Business Systems
Weir Pumps Ltd
149 Newlands Road, Cathcart, Glasgow, G44 4EX

T: +44 0141 308 3982
F: +44 0141 633 1147
E: g.gillies_at_weirpumps.com

                      Jonathan Gennick
                      <jonathan_at_gennick        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                      .com>                     <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity        Subject:  Re: SV: Date Format: Mystery
                      .com

                      30/01/04 13:44
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Friday, January 30, 2004, 2:24:25 AM, Jesper Haure Norrevang (jhn.aida_at_cbs.dk) wrote:
JHN> Certainly som conversion is going on here. This might be the reason why
JHN> there has been confusion about 7 or 8 bytes in a DATE datatype.

That's really interesting, that switch between 7 and 8 bytes. Oracle's docs, I believe in the OCI manual, do show a seven-byte format.

JHN> To answer your question, it is possible to deal with fractions of seconds,
JHN> byt you need to use the TIMESTAMP datatype. The function SYSTIMESTAMP could
JHN> be useful. Be aware that Oracle supports 9 decimals, but not all hardware
JHN> platforms do.

Related to this, just because a platform returns, say, six digits, does not mean it increments on that last digit. Instead of:

    21.000001 seconds
    21.000002 seconds

The best your platform does might look like:

    21.000001 seconds
    21.000801 seconds
    21.001601 seconds

I just made these numbers up, but hopefully they give the idea.

I'm still curious about that seven versus eight byte thing with SYSDATE.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one article on Oracle technologies per month by email. To join, visit
http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article, or send email to Oracle-article-request_at_gennick.com and include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

CONFIDENTIAL:

The information contained in this email (including any attachments)
is confidential, subject to copyright and for the use of the
intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient
please delete this message after notifying the sender. Unauthorised
retention, alteration or distribution of this email is forbidden
and may be actionable.

Attachments are opened at your own risk and you are advised to scan
incoming email for viruses before opening any attached files. We
give no guarantee that any communication is virus-free and accept
no responsibility for virus contamination or other system loss or
damage of any kind.
Author: Garry Gillies
  INET: g.gillies_at_weir.co.uk