Re: Re: [Q] wait time /lob def

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:24:25 -0800

Hi!

> i apologize if someone posted this answer(i missed it if you did), but why
do cached lobs require writes on the control file?

NOCACHE NOLOGGING LOBs require writes to controlfile, because last nologging operation to a datafile has to be reflected somewhere, for being able to determine which files need to be backed up (since recovery information is not logged for nologging operations).

Another option would be to use NOCACHE LOGGING operations, that way no controlfile updates are needed, but I do not recommend it, because NOCACHE LOGGING LOBs require the writing of the whole LOB segment block to redo, even if you modify just one byte in it. CACHE LOGGING is more efficient way in sense of redo generation, that way only changed bytes will be recorded.

> and jonathan said that isnt 'necessarily' bad. is that because there isnt
alot of I/O?

If you don't spend too much time waiting on these events, then yes it's not bad at all.

> so caching lobs are primarily useful for read only or read 'mostly' LOBs?

They are useful in many cases, for write LOBs as well in some cases, but the problem is that they always generate redo, which might not be acceptable in high data load environments.
IMO, if you can use a combination of disk array with write cache, asynch IO, LOB buffering in client side and write batching, then NOCACHE NOLOGGING LOBs can meet acceptable performance constraints and if you use CACHE READ NOLOGGING LOBs (which seem to be available even from 8.1.6), then your performance will be just fine.

Of course, there is always cases with special requirements/contstraints, so YMMAFV (your mileage may, and will vary).

Tanel.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee