Re: dbv - Found block already marked corrupted

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:46:04 -0700

Mike,
Excellent analysis! I agree that the block is likely allocated to a segment but has not yet been used by the segment in question. That is, it resides "above" the segment's "high-water mark"...

You can find out for certain (if the segment is in a "freelist-managed" tablespace, i.e. SEGMENT_SPACE_MANAGEMENT = 'MANUAL') by calling the DBMS_SPACE.UNUSED_SPACE procedure on the segment. Three of the OUT parameters returned are:

    last_used_block
    last_used_extent_file_id
    last_used_extent_block_id

I've attached source for a PL/SQL stored procedure that makes using the DBMS_SPACE packaged procedures a little easier. I don't have it posted on www.evdbt.com yet, but I'll get it done soon...

One further question, though...

>> Of course, if someone knows a utility to un-flag a block I'm all ears.

Why would anyone want to "unflag" a block that has been flagged as corrupt? I'm all ears for that... :-)

-Tim