Re: Oracle database version history

From: Marc Perkowitz <mperkowitz_at_twjconsulting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:19:22 -0600

Ok, here's a trivia question. Did anyone else work with the early betas for V5 that contained an extension to SQL for procedural logic. This proved to have too many problems and was yanked from the later betas. Oracle apparently went back to the drawing board to come up with PL./SQL later on.

Marc Perkowitz
TWJ Consulting
www.twjconsulting.com

> > > Oracle 6 -1989
> > > - Online backup & recovery
> > > - Row level locking, stored PL/SQL
> >
> > Nope. PL/SQL wasn't stored in V6, it was executed in SQL*Forms30,
> > if anyone still remembers the good, old INP files instead of the
> > stupid *.FMB stuff.
>
> In V6 wasn't PL/SQL only available with the TPO option? Something like
that.
> You could run standalone PL/SQL scripts if you were licensed for it, but
> didn't, as you have already said, have stored PL/SQL yet. A client didn't
> want to pay for the TPO option (or whatever it was called), but since
PL/SQL