RE: Oracle database version history

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:19:12 -0800

As I recall the in 6.0 the TPO, Transaction Processing Option, became part of the core product and not an extra cost add-on. Those sites which had TPO previously were given the procedural option for free, those which did not have TPO previously had to pay for the procedural option.

Declarative constraints were introduced in v6, but they were not fully functional. You could not drop a table which had a primary column referenced by a foreign key column, but you could delete rows in the primary key table which were referenced by rows in the foreign key table. The referential integrity documentation did not acknowledge this. It was written as if RI was fully functional

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

From: Rachel Carmichael [mailto:wisernet100_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 5:48 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

hot backups were version 6 not 5... 6 was a major rewrite... introduced rollback segments, tablespaces

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it! http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/