RE: Oracle database version history

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:44:20 -0500

Two very good guesses, but *wrong*!

6.1 was the "first try" at OPS on VAX/VMS. It was released to a few Beta sites. It did not survive the Beta tests. In fact, it failed so miserably, that Oracle pulled it back and never released it through it's normal channels. It actually froze the machines it was running on. Oracle was so busy checking Oracle Block status's between the machines that it killed the machines.

This was also when Oracle was maturing as a company. Quality Control was unbelievably bad. The bugs we see now are nothing compared to what was being released back then. Oracle went from release 6.0 to 6.2 and quickly to 7.x, hoping that people thought that the 6.x series was like a bad dream.

And I think they did it. For me, their releases are just fine now - as long as we are smart enough to wait one release for the new products to settle down!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional