Antw: Perl wannabee.

From: Markus Reger <Reger_at_mdw.ac.at>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:35:49 +0100

Larry Walls's books from O'reilly. He is the inventor of perl. At least he knows the concepts. BUT many other people contibuted and still do on several other places, eg google for CPAN. As regards to your needs an additional book put together by a DBA-oriented author might be a good choice. A lot of conceptional work is already done then.

Since perl is a derivative of C you will never be mightier than that. Some C-"flaws" (esp pointer,..) are not available in perl,no loss unless you do very sophisticated operations in the kernel or so, and perl is much easier to handle - regarding declarations, structures, ...

... and in perl there is at least always another way to do the same thing, can be OO or not, can be direct approach or indirect,...

<ggg>you will find out yourself, sooner or (at least) later<ggg>

>>> johan.muller_at_mci.com 01/29 7:07 >>>
I've just ordered a copy of Perl for DBAs (Jared had something to do with
it, I believe).

What other required reading would help at an early stage of the game - I
have gone the google and O'reilly routes but would appreciate any real world
input from the evangelists.

I can hold my own in a PL/SQL environment, but my world is stretching into
supporting MySql as well. Perl seems to be a good way from a DBA perspective; any other/better suggestions.