Re: Perl wannabee.

From: Daniel Hanks <hanksdc_at_about-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:26:48 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Johan Muller wrote:

> I've just ordered a copy of Perl for DBAs (Jared had something to do with
> it, I believe).
>
> What other required reading would help at an early stage of the game - I
> have gone the google and O'reilly routes but would appreciate any real world
> input from the evangelists.

Jared's book is very good.

"Programming Perl", by Larry Wall (the camel book). It's big, but is probably the 'definitive guide' in the area. If you've 'gone the O'Reilly route', you've probably got this one already, then.

"Learning Perl", also by O'Reilly is a bit more gentle introduction.

perldoc -f <function_name>, for when you need reference on the args to a particular function.

man perl (and the other manpages referenced there. Much of the camel [comes from|is very similar to] the man pages)

man Module::Name, for when you need specific documentation for a particular module.

perlmonks.org is very helpful too. Lot's of real-world experience shared there.

HTH,