RE: Oracle database version history

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:40:57 -0600

> > Oracle 6 -1989
> > - Online backup & recovery
> > - Row level locking, stored PL/SQL
>
> Nope. PL/SQL wasn't stored in V6, it was executed in SQL*Forms30,
> if anyone still remembers the good, old INP files instead of the
> stupid *.FMB stuff.

In V6 wasn't PL/SQL only available with the TPO option? Something like that. You could run standalone PL/SQL scripts if you were licensed for it, but didn't, as you have already said, have stored PL/SQL yet. A client didn't want to pay for the TPO option (or whatever it was called), but since PL/SQL was there in Forms 3.0 (like you said), we would have batch routines using Forms with the PL/SQL code in a startup trigger that would then exit the form once it completed ;-) And the good old INP file -- the only way to be productive was to do most of you work directly in the INP file though we all knew it wasn't supported ;-) Found the Forms 3.0 interface a little better so spent less time working directly in the INP file, but you know we all still did on occasion.