RE: measuring TPM

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:59:26 -0800

Charlie,

  I understand a transaction as a succession of SQL statements between two successive COMMITs or ROLLBACKs - you will find inside V$SYSSTAT how many COMMITs and ROLLBACKs were issued.   If you are interested, besides transactions proper, in the number of statements executed, then have a look at 'execute count'. You also have stats to tell you how many of them were recursive statements I believe.   Talking about metrics (and forgetting about what you have been asked to provide :-)), methinks you can have a reasonably fair (and balanced) view of what is going on by collecting six values :   o Number of sessions and number of executions to see what users are asking of your database   o Redo blocks written to see the 'update' activity and the number of bytes sent which roughly tell you what users want to be done   o Physical and logical I/Os to see how efficiently it is done

Discrepancies should trigger investigation.

HTH, Stephane Faroult

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com