RE: [oracle-l] A few rman questions

From: Rich Holland <holland_at_guidancetech.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:52:14 -0500

DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:

> For controlfiles, in 8i I had difficulty getting RMAN to cough up the
> control file from the backup set (RMAN wouldn't work if the instance wasn't
> mounted, but you can't mount the database unless you have a control file),
> so I back the control file up after the RMAN backup by having RMAN issue the
> SQL command. Others on this list report their success on this issue. I
> understand 9i is much better in this respect, but I haven't had the
> opportunity to test it.

I can't speak to 8i, but I've heard from other 8i DBA's that's the primary reason they use the recovery catalog -- it's much easier to do a complete recovery. With 9i, I didn't see the point of setting up yet another database to manage. With controlfile autobackup enabled, you can just follow the detailed instructions in Metalink Note 174623.1 for the recovery.

I've done it (9.2.0.4 / AIX5L) and it works great!

--
Rich Holland        (913) 645-1950        SAP Technical Consultant
print unpack("u","92G5S\=\"!A;F]T:&5R(\'!E<FP\@:&%C:V5R\"\@\`\`");