Re: [oracle-l] Re: is this a failover - or ....

From: Markus Reger <reger_at_mdw.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:51:38 +0100

thank you for feedback - I just developped/configured it from the scratch = as I didn't know of any existing systems.=20 <ggg> as regards to thriftyness we are a bank <ggg> kr MR

>>> cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl 01/27/04 20:44 PM >>>
Markus,
You described an almost perfect failover, and far cheaper than RAC.

Actually, we set this up years ath the datacenter of a local government.=20=

They had many applications, and appr. 18 oracle instances running.

Two HP servers, one storage. Half of the databases mounted form one = server,=20
the other half from the other. In case of a failure, all non-critical = apps=20
were stopped, and the critical ones were started from the remaining = server.

I know of a dutch bank, that is setting up their HA systems in the way = you=20
describe, thus saving from the horrendous costs of RAC. When you don't = need=20
the scalability, and can afford a few minutes downtime, your're safe. = They=20
call it PM/RAC, Poor Man's RAC. As a bank, they're always short of = money,=20
that's why. :-)

There is at least one Single Point of Failure remaining: your storage=20 cabinet. No problem, but take care of proper procedures what to do if = the=20
storage fails. You can mirror that to another storage cabinet (or SAN, = NAS,=20
or whatever non-BAARF-banned configuration you can think of (see=20 www.baarf.com)) or consider using Data Guard, one of my favourites ;-).

Regards, Carel-Jan Engel

=3D=3D=3D
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) =3D=3D=3D