[oracle-l] Re: Index block count

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:35:07 -0000

What are you checking to see the "block" count ?

    v$sess_io
    v$sesstat
    trace file ?

You've obviously set up a repeatable test, why not send us the output so that we can see the actual figures, and the execution plan.

By the way, if the blevel is two, then an index-only query would have to hit at least three blocks:

    root, branch, and leaf.

The blevel is the number of branch levels, and the height is blevel plus one.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 Jan 29th 2004 UKOUG Unix SIG - v$ and x$  March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof  March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial  April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html ____UK___February
____UK___June

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

I have a b-tree, unique, local, prefixed, range partitioned index. The blevel
on all of the partitions is 2. There are no chained/migrated rows in the table.

I have a query that selects 1 record and only uses the index. I am not sure why
the query uses 4 blocks. I would think that it would just have to use 1 for the
branch block and 1 for the leaf block. Can someone explain it to me? (I have
run the query 8,000 times and the average blocks per execution is 4.1) Thanks,
Tom