[oracle-l] rman catalog considerations

From: Daniel Hanks <hanksdc_at_about-inc.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:33:01 -0700 (MST)

I'm in the process of revamping my backup procedures, and had some ideas I wanted to filter through the wisdom/experience of the list.

In my current setup, I have two main database machines, let's call them M1, and M2.

So essentially M1 hosts the recovery catalog for the databases on M2, and likewise M2 hosts the recovery catalog for the database on M1.

My question is, would it be prudent/beneficial to put the recovery catalogs into their own schemas in the 'business' instances, instead of maintaining them in their own instances?

Some benefits I see in doing this:

Some drawbacks to doing this:

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions,