Re: OT: Solaris: Finding the cause for disk space growth

From: Stephen Andert <stephenandert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:04:26 -0800

Naveen,

Since you are new to Solaris, how new are you to unix/linux? If you are already aware of anything, I apoligize:

spool the output of df -k to a file. I really like the script command for this. Wait some time (long enough for more disk to get used) and do it again (rename the first file if you used script). Then diff list1 list2
This should tell you which mount point changed.

Since you are asking this in an Oracle forum, I'll guess that the mount point that is growing is related to an Oracle database. At a similar interval to the df command above, run something like this in your Oracle database. If you have more than one, do it in all, but spool to a instance_specific file name:

spool begin (or end)
select tablespace_name, sum(bytes)/1024 "Kb" from dba_extents
group by tablespace_name
order by 1 asc;
spool off

diff begin end
will tell you which tablespace is growing.

You can then modify the query above to see which object is growing in that tablespace. I won't write that one for you or you won't get a chance to learn anything from this <grin>

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Stephen

>>> Naveen.Nahata_at_honeywell.com 01/23/04 01:44AM >>>
Hi All,

Sorry for an OT question, but nowhere else to go. Pretty new to Solaris so
might be a naive question. Need a pointer on how to do this.

The disk space in the machine is constantly decreasing. And I want to know
which files/directories are growing.

Is there any way to find out?

Regards
Naveen