[oracle-l] Double-Take for Oracle?

From: Paul Baumgartel <treegarden_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:22:26 -0800 (PST)

We're setting up a Data Guard physical standby here at our office; the primary database is at a colocation facility about 100 miles away, with a T1 currently providing networking between the two sites. The T1 is inadequate to keep up with the rate of redo generation during batch operations (like imports) on the primary.

Our IT suggested that I look at NSI's Double-Take, which claims to replicate only byte-by-byte changes, and to support Oracle. I have two questions for anyone who's used or considered using this product:

  1. Does Double-Take appreciably reduce network traffic compared to Data Guard physical standby?
  2. Does Double-Take work reliably with Oracle? Does Oracle support a database that is replicated using this product?

TIA

Paul Baumgartel
Transcentive, Inc.
www.transcentive.com